Capabilities began in 1997 by our owners, Bill and Karen Blumhorst, who is a former special education teacher. While teaching, Karen realized she wanted to find a way to provide opportunities for her students to thrive once they graduated and ensure they would have the support they needed.
For over 20 years, Bill and Karen have lived their dream, now with a staff of over 190 people in 12 offices throughout the state, making us the largest private provider of rehabilitation services in Ohio. Their two children, Justin and Katie Blumhorst, also lead Capabilities in operations and compliance roles. As far north as Toledo and as far south as Wheelersburg, our stellar staff help people become more independent through a variety of services and connect people to opportunities every single day.
Our Mission Statement
Capabilities will strive to provide people with differing abilities the maximum supports needed to successfully achieve and sustain their goals.
Our Vision Statement
Capabilities provides opportunities. Opportunities for the people we serve to achieve and sustain their goals through self-advocacy, training, and professional services. Opportunities for their families and support systems to engage in an inclusive process. Opportunities for funding sources to have reliable and flexible partners. Opportunities for employers to reach and promote qualified, well-matched job candidates. Opportunities for community partnerships that elevate the neighborhoods we work and live in. Opportunities for our employees to grow professionally and personally.
Capabilities’ vision is that success starts by connecting these opportunities.
Pursue Excellence • Act with Integrity • Embrace Change • Support the Team with Your Strengths
20+ Years of Growth
- 1997 – Capabilities started by Bill and Karen Blumhorst, providing job development and job coaching services
- 2000 – Started providing driver’s training services for people with disabilities & Findlay office opened
- 2005 – Dayton office opened
- 2009 – Started providing day habilitation services
- 2010 – Toledo office opened
- 2014 – Circleville office opened
- 2015 – Opened first community-based day habilitation service
- 2016 – Fremont office opened
- 2016 – Wheelersburg office opened
- 2018 – Athens office opened
- 2018 – Piqua office opened
- 2019 – Marysville office opened
- 2019 – Cincinnati office opened
- 2019 – Complete dehubbing of all day habilitation services
- 2020 – Expansion of virtual and remote services during the COVID-19 pandemic
- 2022 – Zanesville office opened
We currently provide services based from these office locations:
Athens • Cincinnati • Circleville • Dayton • Findlay • Fremont • Marysville • Piqua • St. Marys • Toledo • Wheelersburg • Zanesville